Thanks to photography bay I just read about the upcoming Rode VideoMic HD (not availale yet). It sounds like a dream come true: the technology used is from the Rode NTG-3 (even the NTG-2 kicks ass and is highly recommended), furthermore it has a wind and shock-protection as well as integrated SD-card recording (!).
There’s no way to know just how much of NTG-3 tehnology is going to show up inside this new VideoMic HD; however, if it’s anywhere close to the quality and isolation that it delivers, we could be in for a real treat.
* Integrated digital recorder (microSDHC)
* RF-bias, true condenser shotgun microphone (based on RØDE NTG3 technology)
* Line and Mic (mixer) inputs (with ‘plug-in’ power)
* High level headphone amplifier for monitoring
* Three-level High Pass Filter (0, 75Hz, 150Hz)
* Integrated Blimp wind protection and shock mounting
* Multi mode outputs (Dual mono/split 0db and -10db for auto safety/dual mono + 20dB)
* High frequency ‘boost’ switch for increased intelligibility at distance miking
* Utra-lightweight metal casing
* Quick release mounting system